Sunday, October 19, 2014

I Love Roller Coasters

This is it. In 48 hours, God willing, we will officially be "on the road." I wish I had the words to elegantly convey the exact feelings I have about it; however, the best I can do is equate it to the feelings you get when you're about to ride the newest, fastest roller coaster at the park. If you do not ride roller coasters, you can do so vicariously through me:)

You get to the park, see it from the parking lot and tell yourself, "If I do nothing else today but ride that, today will be a good day!" So, you head over only to find that the line is ridiculously long. You exchange questioning glances with your mate, shrug it off, and agree it'll be worth it.

For us, not only was the line excruciatingly long, but we experienced "technical difficulties" with no estimated time of repair. We debated about getting out of line and trying it again at another time, but we came here just for this ride and leaving now would leave us beyond disappointed, devastated even. So we stayed, endured and tried to make the best of our time while we waited.

Finally, it is time to take that step. You get on, fasten your harnesses, take a deep breath and let out a sigh of relief. Then the upward ascent begins. What started off as 100% pure excitement slowly mixes with a whole bag of emotions you had not anticipated. Your heart begins to race and the full reality of your situation presents itself. You can't see the track in front of you or what is to come. All you know is you are so very far from where you started and moving away from those you love. All the "what ifs" swarm your thoughts and you question your judgement about getting on in the first place.You give your harness a few extra tugs, yet at this point, you know it's all pretty much out of your hands. You accept there is no turning back. Suddenly, you're reminded that you absolutely love roller coasters!

All the excitement rushes back. You look out past the treetops as you crown the top and have one of those moments. I believe this moment may be different for many people. For me, it's a very poignant and significant moment of peace and clarity. It's a moment where I feel completely present without any cares or concerns. I feel at one with the world and know I was divinely created. It's a moment when I'm reminded the world existed long before me and will exist long after I am gone. And I am more than ok with it. I love this moment. It's brief and only lasts a few seconds before the ride takes over and you are all consumed by the ride.

That is where we are right now. We leave in 48 hours (or less) and we are at that last upward push before we have that crowning moment and the ride takes over. I expect that moment to be after my husband and I share that last solidifying look before he puts the truck in drive, and I look behind me and see my beautiful children all buckled and excited to take this ride with me.

I am so excited to see what God has in store for us. I know it'll be full of unexpected twist and turns, ups and downs, cries of laughter and fear, but I do love roller coasters, and I can't wait to share it all with you!


Romans 12:2 (NLT)
Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

3 comments:

Heather Gebbia said...

I love this! We are in the planning stages and are planning (Lord willing) to hit the road in January. I can very much relate to this post because I also love roller coasters. What an exciting ride you are about to have, and in a few short months I hope we'll be joining you and the rest of the full time RV families out there.

Natalie said...

That is exciting to hear, Heather! Please keep me updated on your ride. Stay encouraged and may God bless you and your family on your roller coaster!

Trenna said...

ANd what had Jehovah been doing in the world of your family these days? Share your God stories, indeed! Blessings---